There’s a lot you can do to protect your electronics from moisture in your home, we’ll share some of these tips below one of the most important things you can do to protect your electronics is to buy a home dehumidifier. Things like television, laptop, radios, and other home electronics are among the most affected.
A dehumidifier for electronics is the best investment you can make to keep your electronics safe from moisture in the air. Here are a few products you might be interested in dehumidifiers for electronics.
Also at the bottom of this article, we will be sharing our best product to protect your electronics from humidity. Let me first share how humidity affects your electronics at home.
How does humidity affect your electronic devices?
When the humidity is very high and there is a large amount of water vapor contained in the environment condensation is produced. This moisture in the air is responsible for various damages to the home and any property. Humidity problems can damage the paint on the walls, floors, ceilings, wooden structures, furniture, health, and of course the electronic devices.
Moisture settles on panel devices and metallic surfaces creating rust, which after some time erodes the panel and circuits. Moisture can penetrate and corrode the circuits to the point of ruining your electronics. Sulfate can also come from moisture in any type of battery, which immediately deteriorates it.
Also, tin solder is affected by excess moisture. A large percentage of battery damage and circuit failure is caused by humidity.
So how do you protect your electronics from humidity?
Take the following steps to prevent moisture and dehumidify your electronics:
- Maintain a proper room temperature in the different areas of the home.
- Give your electronics a weekly dusting to remove build-up and check your dehumidifier to make sure it’s performing at peak efficiency.
- Use a silica gel mini-dehumidifier to take care of your equipment. The ones that come with indicators can be renewed and reused again and again.
- Identify sources of moisture in your home, and control what you can. If you’ve got windows with poor seals or doors that don’t keep out the weather, your dehumidifiers will work extra hard.
- Ensure that any dehumidifier you use doesn’t contain calcium chloride, which is a corrosive chemical. Instead, choose silica gel-based dehumidifiers.
- Proper ventilation is vital for controlling moisture. Let your home dehumidifier control what you aren’t able to remove on your own, and soon you and your electronics will enjoy a dry and comfortable environment.
- Use dehumidifiers and air extractors, especially in those areas of the house with high levels of humidity (basements, bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry rooms).
Other things to consider to keep humidity away from electronics
- Don’t take your electronic equipment into kitchens, bathrooms, or places with high humidity levels. Pro Tip: If the glass in the bathroom is damp, that same moisture seeps into the circuits of your appliances.
- Keep your tablet, laptop, smartphone, and other machines away from the air conditioners.
- If you notice foggy screens on your electronic equipment, place them inside a handful of rice to absorb moisture.
We are hoping the tips above will help you keep your electronics safe and dehumidify your electronic if necesary. Now let me share with you our recommended product.
Our Recommended Home Dehumidifier
The EDV-2400 Mid-Size Dehumidifier with Humidistat is our featured product that will help keep your home safe from humidity that could damage your electronics.
It’s a good idea to follow the best practices for using a dehumidifier to get the most out of your purchase.
EDV-2400 Mid-Size Dehumidifier features:
- Bathrooms/Laundry Rooms: Eva-Dry absorbs excess moisture form vapor related activities, and helps dry fabrics faster.
- Bedrooms: While absorbing excess moisture you are also reducing dust activity, and consequently the risk of allergies.
- Vacation Homes: Absorbs musty odors from stagnant air, and prevents damage caused by excess moisture.
- Basements: Protects stored clothing and tools from damage caused by excess moisture.
- Storage Spaces: Protects your stored clothing, home electronics, and furniture from damage caused by excess moisture.
- Stored Boats/RVs/Classic Cars: Protects storage from damage caused by excess moisture and musty odors from stagnant air.
Don’t forget that Our products can also be used in gun safes, boats, and anywhere else you need the best moisture control.